Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Meghan McCain's Big Tent

"I consider myself a progressive Republican. I am liberal on social issues. And I think that the party is at a place where social issues shouldn't be the issues that define the party. And I have taken heat, but in fairness to me, I am a different generation than the people that are giving me heat. I'm 24 years old. I'm not in my 40s, I'm not in my 50s and older." -Meghan McCain on Larry King Live Full interview here

In case you haven't noticed there's a bit of an ideological war going on for the helm of the Republican party. Conservatives versus moderates or to use Meghan McCain's term Progressive Republican, ever notice how liberals and moderates are afraid to be identified as such so they come up with neat names like progressive? I'm willing to give Meghan the benefit of the doubt though I mean after all someone who voted for John Kerry in 2004 and didn't become a registered Republican until her Dad (a moderate himself) started running for President she probably still doesn't have a total grasp on what it means to be a conservative. Now as a 22 year old Rush Baby I have a slight advantage here but I'll exercise some restraint.

First of all, the fact that you aren't lounging around 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue should be your first clue that running as a moderate progressive squish Republican is not the way to win elections. Even when your Dad claimed to be a foot solider in the Reagan Revolution nobody really believed him. In fact the only time your Dad jumped up in the polls was when he announced Sarah Palin, apparently the only conservative that was allowed anywhere near the McCain campaign, as his running mate. Even after that some in your Dad's campaign had no problem turning Palin into a human speed bump and your refusal to even comment on Sarah Palin is pretty indicative of what you think of her and her conservative values. I know, I know your not a conservative you're a Progressive and totally more open minded except when it comes to mean people like Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh.

"I was raised in an open-minded home. I was raised a Christian, but I was raised open-minded Christian -- one to accept people, love people, not pass judgment...I personally am pro-life, but I'm not going to judge someone that's pro-choice. It is not my place to judge other people and what they do with their body." - Meghan McCain on Larry King Live

You say you want a big tent party? Fine so do I but that doesn't mean I want to water down my principles and beliefs so it becomes Democrat Lite. With your definition of a big tent we wouldn't have a party we'd have a bunch of talking heads not talking about principles but spouting off flavor of the month policies that have no long term foresight. You want to build a big tent Meghan? Then stand for something! Reach out to people and say this is what I believe in and this is how it can help you! Stop equating conservatism to being judgemental. It isn't judgemental to say "Get a job and take responsibility for yourself so you can get of welfare and not be a slave to the government." You believe in being an open-minded Christian? Great so do I because Christ opened is arms to all sinners no matter how great the sin and forgives anyone who seeks His forgiveness but He also says don't keep sinning either we're supposed to strive to live better lives. So yes you can be pro-life and not pass judgement on women who have received abortions but that doesn't mean you just throw your hands up and say "Whatever works for you!" You encourage a culture of life by standing on your principles.

And stop making this a generational thing Meghan. Solid core values stand the test of time they might not always make you popular with the rest of the world but then again the rest of the world knows deep, deep, deep down inside that it's those principles that have kept them safe from tyranny. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a popularity contest Meghan most people who have a beef with you aren't really upset that you're the liberal media's new lap dog they're more irritated that you're talking about things you don't fully understand. You're selling out on something that you don't really believe in to begin with. So go ahead and peddle you "Progressive" agenda but don't be surprised when it gets thrown back into your face.

3 comments:

hahajohnnyb said...

Nice post Buckeye.

Funny how there seemed to be plenty of 20 somethings in the Ron Paul camp. No other Republican attracted young people, McCain damned sure did not.

Young people like to have something to believe in, Meghan believes in liberalism like her dad which is to say, neither one really believes in anything.

Again, great post!

Anonymous said...

Talk about wishy-washy...and 15 minutes of fame. Business as usual in that family...anything goes! Ugh!

Jules

Anonymous said...

Great post and so true!

There is a major problem where a lot of the GOP are really becoming indistinguishable from the liberals to the point that they are basically one party.